If you have decided to start your own cleaning business, then you need a plan first which will get you forward accordingly. There is a big difference between cleaning your home by yourself and hiring a professional for the job. So, when you decide to start your own cleaning business, it is not going to be simple cleaning, you must be ready for challenges, employ professionals, have good quality supplies for cleaning and be ready some dirty work too. You are not going to get a quick success in this business, but you need patience for such business and get your business started with your family and friends and ask them to spread a good word of mouth, because referrals are going to matter a lot. You are going to need a good marketing strategy, because without marketing there is no chance of growth.
· Know if cleaning business services is correct for you.
- Fitness level: –
You should be fit enough to start a cleaning business. Your body should be compatible with the job. You must understand that your body is going to make regularly same movements and your body should be comfortable with that much work. You have to bend and kneel again and again on the same day depending on your appointments. If you have any past injuries, then consult your doctor whether you can do the job or not.
- Office skills: –
You should have some office skills so that you can manage the work with the help of your computer, you can also manage your every month accounts so that you can know the expenses and profits you are making. If you are weak at this then you should probably hire someone to do that job or learn how to do that because honestly, it is going to help you a lot. Also, people now are more active on internet, so they make an appointment online, because it is easy and fast. With growth of your business, you will get more appointments, and your clients will not like you missing appointments, or any other requirements mentioned by them, so you can just manage them with the help of your computer.
- Criminal records and disputes: –
Before getting into this business, you must clear all your criminal records and ensure that you have a clean record. If you have any dispute with any other person which is still going on, then make sure it is clear and not getting in your way. Such things can be a big huddle for your business’s growth, because some clients will not be comfortable with you being around their child or even that you are being at their home, so these things really matter.
- Savings and backup: –
Make sure you have good savings to invest in your business. If you are planning to resign from your job and fully depend and focus on your business, then you must have good savings or someone to back you up while you work and grow your business. If you have a job and you are not prepared financially to leave your job and have business, then you can start as a part timer and slowly and steadily grow your business, but do not be greedy in the beginning and charge according to the services provided.
- Business expenses:
As you start your cleaning business, you will require good quality of supplies for cleaning business and adding on you will have some more expenses included in them such as marketing and employing some professionals as time goes by, and along with the time your business will grow and with that your expenses too, so start managing your expenses from the beginning so that you can know how much you are making through your business and how much money are investing in your business.
· Basics of business plan: –
- Plan your business strategy and services: –
- Sort out which type of cleaning you are going to offer, such as occasional cleaning, party clean up, commercial cleaning, constructional cleaning, or regular house cleaning. You cannot offer everything at one go if you are approaching as a part timer, and even if you are going for full time you have to be steady and slow.
- Before you dive in you must decide whether you are going to use your own products or you are going to use your client’s products, it will be best if you invest some of your money and purchase your own product. Also, benefits of having your own products are that it looks more professional and you know which product is used for what and how products are used. Note that even if you purchase products of your own, you still have to work according to the customer and use it according to them only.
- Every business has competition, so before diving into the cleaning business services you have to make sure that your city does not have too much competition in that field. If there are too much competition, then it is better you rethink on the decision about starting the business.
- Now, if you are starting a cleaning business then you need a source of transportation and note that if you are using a family car then you cannot use it for an exceptionally long time, because the car is of no use to anyone with the cleaning products, so it is better if you have a car used for your business. Now, if you are using customer’s products then you can easily use public transportation.
- Price scale is very important when you offer cleaning services. Note that middle class category is going to have more appointments with you and if you are not offering a reasonable rate then you are not going any forward with this business. So, reasonable pricing is key to success in cleaning business.
- Accounting system :-
What is your business if you do not have any system to maintain your expenses, profits, and sales tax? You should have a software that can maintain your accounts, and you should have knowledge how to operate that software. If you have no knowledge about the software, then there are many online tutorials which can teach you on how to operate the software. You can also hire someone with knowledge of that software to do the job, but it is best if you learn by yourself and maintain your accounts.
- Charging fees: –
- Before you set a charge for your services, you must decide how you are going to charge the fees, that is according to hours of services you are going to give, according to the square footage of the home or you can charge according to home.
- It is better you charge according to home (depending on the size of the house)
- Also, you can charge for add-ons such as oven cleaning or for some places which are very difficult to clean.
- You have to charge according to the services provided by you and not according to the market, charge as per your experience, but also remember, you have to charge a moderate price, not too much low and not too much high, by this you will lose potential clients.
- If you do not have any employees in the beginning and you are planning to employ some professionals in future, then you have to charge accordingly so that you do not have to increase your rates when you hire them. So, do not think as you do not have any employees, you can charge low rates to the clients.
What supplies do I need to start a cleaning business: –
- Choose which products you are going to use: –
- Use natural and non-toxic products for cleaning. Some people prefer and appreciate usage of natural products, so that way it is not harmful for their children and pets, so make sure you are not using any harmful substances.
- Use trusted and reliable brands which are known to people so that you can build trust in your clients. If you are going to use products which are homemade then you should explain them about the products. It will help you build a conversation with the clients.
- Many customers will prefer you bringing your own products, so it is better you own some cleaning products. Note that some customers will have preferences for cleaning some appliances and floors and they will have different products for cleaning them, so make sure you use them.
- You can always use your customer’s vacuum if they are comfortable so that you do not have to carry heavy vacuum everywhere. Most of your customers will have their own vacuum.
- Uniforms advantage: –
You should always dress properly. You should be dressed in tidy clothes, make sure you have enough pair of sets that you can use within a week. The clothes you use while cleaning should be flexible and comfortable so you can work comfortably in those clothes. Also, make sure you have your company name and logo printed on the clothes. By doing all these you will come out more professional and you can build more trust in your customers.
- Company vehicle: –
For cleaning business, you need a vehicle in which you can store all your products and take them to the client’s house. If you are planning on using customer’s products, then you can easily use public transportation. If you plan on using family car then it is not going to work for a very long time and it is not going to work eventually, so it is better you purchase your own car.
· Marketing and getting clients: –
- Marketing: – Marketing is very essential if you want your business to grow. Marketing is an aspect of every business which gets the services or products of the company to people, and unless and until you do not get your brand out there in public you cannot expect getting customers for your business. So now you know that how much does marketing matters in a business. There is always traditional approach of marketing, but nowadays digital platforms such as Facebook and Instagram, and google are famous for digital marketing.
- How to open business website: – Every business needs a website so that the brand is presented in front of potential clients in a digital way. Nowadays, people love to book appointments online and just easily make online payments because it is easier and fast to do that. If you have knowledge of creating a website, you should get started with it and if you do not know how to do that you should probably invest one time in that and have an agency do SEO regularly so you can rank higher and reach potential audience easily.
- Business cards: – If you want everyone to talk about your business and know who you are and what business you have then you need business cards so that you can give to every new person you meet. The business card should include your name and your business name, contact details, what your business is about, your company logo and your website name.
· First customer: –
After you get your first client, which by the way is not going to be easy but right marketing planning and referring to everyone, you will be able to crack it anyway, so do not stop that. Now, after getting your first potential client, remember to offer good quality and proper quantity and not more quantity and less quality. Now, you have started getting few clients, try to make you are your permanent customers and do not be shy to tell them that you are looking for more customers. The best way to get business out of someone is to offer them, if you tell your current customers that you can give them discount on next cleanup if they get you more customers, and also the new customer they will bring will get discount. By this you can grow more.